The Rangers are reeling. Tuesday’s loss to a Devils team that had not played in weeks was awful. They are six points out of a playoff spot. There are still 42 games to go, but this team is not getting contributions from its best players. Coach David Quinn is starting to hear it from the fan base. Is he on the hot seat?
To talk Quinn and the Rangers’ struggles, we bring you a new episode of the “Up In The Blue Seats” podcast with Ron Duguay and Mollie Walker, featuring chats with Larry Brooks and Rangers prospect Zac Jones.
Up In The Blue Seats Podcast with Ron and Mollie:
- Deflating loss to the Devils Tuesday after New Jersey went 15 days without playing a game. No sense of urgency. How much is this the players themselves and how much of this on coaching?
- David Quinn pointed to lack of effort. Guys not playing physical enough. There’s no identity to this team. Coaches need to set tone in dressing room.
- What is going on with Chris Kreider this season? Needs to step up, play more physical and be surrounded by better players.
- Twitter question: Was giving Kreider an extension last year a good idea?
- Voicemail question: Should Quinn be on the hot seat?
Larry Brooks Interview:
NY Post Rangers beat writer
- What does Quinn need to adjust in his coaching style?
- Does Quinn need to learn himself what to do in these situations as a third-year NHL coach?
- Does Larry want to change his prediction now of the Rangers making the playoffs?
- Colin Blackwell and Kevin Rooney have been bright spots.
Zac Jones Interview:
NY Rangers prospect, UMass defenseman
- Playing during pandemic at UMass. Campus life right now.
- Staying to play at UMass and not playing major juniors hockey. Was not ready to play at professional level yet.
- Wants to come back for junior year at UMass. Body not big enough yet. Chance he signs after his junior year, if not then after senior year.
- Scouting report of his game. An offensive defenseman.
- UMass rapid fire questions from UMass alum Mollie.
Catch up on all episodes of “Up In The Blue Seats,” a New York Rangers podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. New episodes will be released every Thursday.