The Nets are beating playoff teams without Kyrie Irving or Kevin Durant. James Harden is in the NBA MVP conversation. Blake Griffin has added some frontcourt help. Nic Claxton is blossoming in front of our eyes. Even not being at full strength, the Nets are finding ways to win games. Do they need another piece in the fold to secure their chances of winning a title?
That’s the big question this week on a new episode of the “Fullcourt on Flatbush” podcast with Robin Lundberg and Kerry Kittles. The guys talk about that with The Post’s Brian Lewis and talk Nets now and then with former team president and Basketball Hall of Famer Rod Thorn.
Fullcourt on Flatbush Podcast Opening with Robin, Kerry & Jake:
- GRIFFIN/CLAXTON: Blake’s first score was a dunk like Robin said. Claxton becoming a key piece for this team. May take minutes from DeAndre Jordan. Could be more Griffin, Claxton and Jeff Green.
- JAMES HARDEN: Could be favorite to win NBA MVP. He has become a necessity instead of a luxury to this team. Kerry says Harden is MVP and Giannis Antetokounmpo is second.
- TRADE DEADLINE: Robin says they could use a wing defender. Maybe Spencer Dinwiddie gets traded. If they can get Andre Drummond in a buyout, that would make sense. No big deals will happen.
Rod Thorn Interview:
Former Nets President (2000-2010), Basketball Hall of Famer
- TRADE DEADLINE PROCESS: What’s it like for an executive? Players have more leverage now than in the past.
- NETS NOW AND THEN: Looking at whether the team needs another piece now. Going through 2001-02 Nets, what Jason Kidd brought to the team, other pieces, Kerry’s impact.
- KIDD TRADES: Dissecting how the Kidd-to-the-Nets trade came together and how trading him to Dallas in 2008 happened.
- DREAM TEAM: Why no Isiah Thomas? Was it Michael Jordan who didn’t want him?
Brian Lewis Interview:
NY Post Nets beat writer
- DEADLINE: Any need for a deal? 50/50 that Dinwiddie gets traded.
- CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST: If healthy, is it a bust if they don’t win a title?
- KD/KYRIE: When will they be back?
Catch up on all episodes of “Fullcourt on Flatbush,” a Brooklyn Nets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Kerry Kittles and Robin Lundberg on Twitter @Kerry_Kittles30 and @robinlundberg. New episodes drop Wednesday afternoons.