The Jets didn’t land multiple NY Post back pages like the Giants, but Joe Douglas certainly was a busy man in free agency. Gang Green added 12 players to a team that was depleted at most positions. They got a few pass rushers, a few good receivers and some depth across the board. While it may not take over the headlines, Douglas did a nice job of taking care of a few needs the team had. The GM now needs to knock it out of the park in the draft as he tries rebuilding the Jets.
To talk about what the Jets have done in free agency, we bring you a special edition of the “Gang’s All Here” podcast with Brian Costello and me, featuring an interview with former Jets offensive lineman Damien Woody.
Gang’s All Here Podcast Opening Segment with Jake & Brian:
- JETS MOVES: Like what Joe Douglas did. He didn’t overspend on guys. Corey Davis and Carl Lawson were strong additions. One-year deals with some guys. They are not jeopardizing the future. Jets banking on Lawson being great and Quinnen Williams taking the next step to give them a good pass rush. Davis, Keelan Cole and Tevin Coleman bolster the depth chart on offense.
- HOLES: Cornerback and linebacker are weaknesses for the Jets. They need to address CB in the draft. Offensive guard is also a bit of a weak spot. Dan Feeney may compete for starting spot.
- QUARTERBACK: Both Coz and I think Zach Wilson will be the 2021 Jets QB. They have to try to trade Sam Darnold. Fresh start with new coach and QB. Wilson’s Pro Day is on Friday.
Damien Woody Interview:
Former Jets offensive lineman (2008-2010), ESPN personality
- JOE DOUGLAS: Likes what he did. They got a true pass rusher for first time in a while. He has filled the roster pretty well. You build team through draft, not free agency. Douglas with similar style to Ozzie Newsome.
- MISSING PIECES: O-line will be a key focus in the draft. Better coaching will help their line develop. They have to address CB in the draft and probably with the 23rd pick. You can’t have Bryce Hall as your Week 1 starting CB.
- ROBERT SALEH: Coaching matters and it plays a part on some guys coming to the Jets. Saleh could change the culture. Most free agents don’t want to come to the Jets, because they were terrible.
- QB: Woody believes you have to move on and trade Darnold. If Darnold stays and struggles, that will be on Douglas. Have to reset at position and take Wilson in the draft with the No. 2 pick.
Catch up on all episodes of “Gang’s All Here,” a New York Jets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Coz and Jake on Twitter @BrianCoz and @JakeBrownRadio for updates on the show. The next episode of the podcast drops before the NFL Draft.